I’ve just been stabbed! No wait…it was just a mosquito bite.
Imagine, minding your own business, relaxing on your patio when… BAM! You feel an intense, stabbing pain shoot through your body. How shocked would you be to discover…
It was nothing more than a mosquito bite?
I think it’s safe to say that if you live in Florida, you’ve experienced a mosquito bite or two, so comparing one to being jabbed with a knife may sound extreme. However, that’s exactly what experts are warning when it comes to huge mosquitoes called Gallinippers. Reports have been circulating that Florida is set for an invasion this summer and we should be on the look out for the quarter-sized mosquitoes that can bite right through clothing.
So should you be worried?
Like you, I want to protect my family from Florida pests, especially the nasty stinging ones! For that reason, I stay on top of the latest news and information relating to mosquitoes and other pests in our area and see what I can do to protect my family, as well as yours.
Here’s what you should know:
- Gallinippers are not new to Florida, Lee County or even Fort Myers. They’ve been around for a while, but mainly reserve themselves to more rural, agricultural areas, rather than residential neighborhoods.
- Lee County Mosquito Control considers them to be a minimal impacting mosquito and we have yet to spot any ourselves. That’s not to say, however, that as time goes by the Gallinipper populations won’t increase and move into other settings.
- Lee County has a proactive mosquito control district, so the threat is reduced for those of you living in Lee County.
- Outlying communities such as LaBelle and parts of Collier County may experience higher numbers of these mosquitoes.
- Gallinippers generally hatch their eggs right after tropical rain storms.
Summer is right around the corner, so we’ll be on the look out for any information suggesting that Gallinippers will be a greater cause for concern this year.
Even without the threat of huge mosquitoes, many of us will still feel like we’re being held hostage, afraid to open our doors for fear of those regular-ole, tiny mosquitoes that dominate our region during summer. It’s just a fact of life here in Southwest Florida, but what if I told you that you could enjoy your pool, yard or dock all summer long, without the need of a screen enclosure or smelly bug spray?
Here are two solutions for keeping mosquitoes (and even no see ums) at bay:
Our Mosquito Abatement Program is designed to reduce the mosquito population on your property by monthly application of mosquito control products to key harborage areas, from April though October.
An automatic outdoor misting system is another great option for homeowners looking for home mosquito repellent. It immediately reduces mosquitoes on your property during peak activity periods and it even comes with a remote control! Take that mosquitoes!
Interested in protecting your family from painful, itchy bites all summer long? Call (800) 314-8813 or schedule a free inspection of your property today!
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below! We love hearing your feedback. Did you find this information helpful? Please share it with your friends on Facebook or Twitter! Thanks!