In order to keep your system running at peak performance, proper irrigation maintenance is essential.
Just as you take your car in for regular oil changes and tune-ups, maintaining your sprinkler system so that it runs optimally ensures your yard will stay healthy and green.
One of the most important ways to keep your your landscape beautiful is to perform routine inspections on your irrigation system. This way you can determine if your sprinklers are performing optimally and there are no problems in the system.
For the Do-It-Yourselfers…
- Perform your inspection on a routine schedule—weekly or every two weeks.
- Run sprinklers for up to ten minutes and inspect every part of the system.
- Be on the lookout for clogged sprinkler heads, leaking valves, missing nozzles, or breaks or leaks in the piping.
- Make sure there is no over-spray onto sidewalks or buildings.
If you do identify trouble areas in your irrigation system, there are tactics you can use to fix the problems yourself. Sprinkler heads that have become clogged with dirt and debris may be disassembled. You will want to remove the filter (this may require tweezers) and clean and rinse. Then flush the irrigation lines to ensure no further debris is caught in the system before reattaching the sprinkler head.
If you spot a leak in a sprinkler head or valve, you will either need to change the seal inside the head or completely replace the damaged sprinkler. This will require a trip to your local hardware store. Leaks are often the result of lawnmower damage or cars. If leaks go un- repaired, the water pressure in your irrigation system will drop. Dry patches will develop where the sprinkler’s arc does not reach and your water bills will skyrocket. This is why regular irrigation maintenance is essential to ensuring a beautiful landscape.
Keep in mind that Florida law requires that all automatic sprinkler systems include a rain sensor that will override the watering schedule if enough rain has fallen. As part of your routine irrigation maintenance, make sure your rain sensor is working properly.
It not only makes sense, it’s the law!
For Stress-Free Irrigation Repair & Maintenance
Consider hiring the professionals at Larue to take care of your irrigation system for you! The first time our experts inspect your property, they’ll thoroughly survey your entire system, report any issues that should to be addressed, and provide a written estimate for repairs or modifications that need to be made to keep your system running optimally.
Larue’s Bi-Monthly Irrigation Maintenance Service will:
- Check and adjust controller to proper date, time, watering days and zone run times.
- Run system to ensure proper operation and coverage of each spray head and rotor.
- Inspect system for any line breaks.
- If installed, verify proper operation of the rain gauge, replace if defective.
- Remove encroaching grass around pop-up heads as needed.
- Replace any clogged nozzles or defective heads.
- Replace any defective zone solenoid or entire valve.
If you’d like us to take a look at your sprinkler system in Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Sanibel, Bonita Springs, Naples, Marco Island, Port Charlotte, Punta Gorda or anywhere in Lee, Collier, Charlotte or Hendry Counties, contact us or call (800) 314-8813 today!
Feel free to share your questions and comments below. Your input helps to make this blog, and the Internet, a better place for information seekers everywhere! Or connect with us through Facebook.
For 12 other Landscaping Tips for Creating a Florida-Frienly Yard, click on the eBook to the right.