You want your home and landscape to be a safe place for your family to enjoy, but termites can threaten your tranquility…
This is the seventh of 12 Landscaping Tips for a Florida-Friendly Yard, which can be downloaded from our free eBook library.
In Fort Myers, Naples and all of Southwest Florida, both subterranean and drywood termites have been known to devastate homes by eating right through wooden beams used in walls and roofs. In order to protect your family and control termites around your property, there are some techniques you can adopt in your landscape.
Termites are always looking for new places to feast. Here are some landscaping tips that will help protect your home:
- Keep all wooden temptations clear from your house.
- Make sure as you install shrubs and other plants in your yard that you keep them a minimum of two feet from your home’s foundation.
- Keep wooden items— such as planter boxes or fences, as well as firewood or scrap lumber—at least two feet from your home.
- Reduce the amount of wood mulch in your landscape or eliminate it entirely.
- There should be at least a six-inch gap between the ground and the bottom of your home’s stucco or siding.
- Make sure wooden steps, lattice work, and door frames do not touch the soil.
- Finally, remove any dead trees or stumps near your home.
- Keep sprinkler heads at least two feet from your home and make sure they do not spray water onto your house.
- Divert air conditioner discharge away from the foundation of your home.
- To prevent standing water, especially near your home’s foundation, slope soil away from your house.
A proactive approach to termite control is crucial. Preventative measures in your landscaping and early detection from a yearly termite inspection are the ONLY ways to defend your home from DRYWOOD termites.
But, when it comes SUBTERRANEAN termite control, the best way to protect your home is by installing the Sentricon Colony Elimination System®.
Sentricon Stations containing termite bait are “planted” in the soil, forming a protective ring around the home. This highly effective system gives your home 24/7 protection, which gives you peace of mind knowing your home is safe! Another benefit to this form of termite control is that it’s environmentally friendly. It’s the only termite control product ever to win the Green Chemistry Challenge Award, a top federal environmental honor.
Whether your building a new home or landscaping an existing one, we highly recommend including termite protection in your plans.
Give us a call at (800) 314-8813 or schedule an appointment online today!
Feel free to share your questions and comments below. Your input helps to make this blog, and the Internet, a better place for information seekers everywhere! Or connect with us through Facebook.
For 12 other Landscaping Tips for Creating a Florida-Frienly Yard, click on the eBook to the right.