With the recent cold spells in SW Florida, rodent proofing is more important than ever to prevent rats and mice from invading homes.
According to the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), rodents invade approximately 21 million U.S. homes each winter.
Brandon Fout, Larue’s Pest Control Supervisor says, “Calls regarding rodent activity in homes have doubled since December and haven’t slowed down. They reproduce quickly and can squeeze through spaces as small as a dime.””
Rodents can cause considerable damage to your property along with health issues. They carry disease and bacteria, and will gnaw through wiring, putting homes at risk for electrical fires.
Evidence Of Rodents
To recognize a potential infestation, we want to make you aware of several common signs Fort Myers homeowners should watch for:
• Scratching or scampering sounds
• Chew or gnaw marks on wood, screens, cardboard, etc.
• Musky or rotting odors
• Unusual pet activity
To stave off invasions now and in the future, we recommend rodent-proofing your home. Here are 8 tips to prevent rodents from entering your happy place.
Prevention Is Key
1. Seal cracks and holes larger than a dime around the perimeter of the home using caulk, steel wool or a combination of both.
2. Screen dryer vents and openings to chimneys. Fill gaps around the entry points of utility lines, HVAC, and plumbing pipes.
3. Rats are amazing climbers and can scale vertical walls and cross utility wires to enter your home above ground level.
4. Keep shrubbery trimmed back from the house and store firewood at least 20 feet away.
5. Make sure all rubbish is cleaned up and use garbage cans with tight fitting lids.
6. Store pet food and bird seed in rat proof containers and keep garage doors shut when not in use.
7. Store all raw or prepared food indoors in tightly sealed containers.
8. Pick fruits and vegetables when ripe so rodents will not feed on them.
Brandon continues, “My mission is to help educate homeowners on ways to be proactive on preventing rodents. Following these tips can help avoid infestations.”
Discount Offered For Rodent Proofing
If you are suspicious these unwanted visitors are nesting in your home, give us a call. In fact, for a limited time, we are offering $100 off our professional and proven rodent proofing service.
Larue Pest Management is a locally owned full-service Fort Myers pest control company, providing lawn care, termite protection, and pest control services to residents throughout SW Florida. Our #1 priority is to responsibly protect your health and property by developing smart solutions that are backed by guaranteed results. Call us today to get started, 239-334-0880.